Friday, March 6, 2009

Hello!

So, this is a totally new idea to me, but should be interesting...let me introduce myself. My name is Erika, I'm a first year piano performance student at UBC, so music is pretty much my entire life. Hence the blog title, which is actually also the name of one of my favourite songs by Jack's Mannequin. Yes, it's true; I listen to music that isn't classical. I like to think of my iTunes as a well-rounded mix, except for the lack of country and rap, which I don't enjoy in the slightest.
Anyway, just having some fun on the internet this morning, found some very good piano quotes I enjoyed:

"Life is like a piano...what you get out of it depends on how you play it." Very true.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." Sergei Rachmaninoff, in my opinion one of the greatest composers of all time and one of my heroes. I recommend his second piano concerto and his Symphonic Dances.

They afterwards took me to a dancing saloon where I saw the only rational method of art criticism I have ever come across. Over the piano was printed a notice- 'Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best.'” Oscar Wilde.

[The piano is] able to communicate the subtlest universal truths by means of wood, metal and vibrating air.” Kenneth Miller.

Hope you don't think this is Billy Joel unplugged. I'm a piano player. I'm already unplugged.” Billy Joel. He's friggin' awesome.

"When you play music you discover a part of yourself that you never knew existed." Bill Evans, also awesome.

"If you try to put into words what music is trying to say, then you have words, not music." Vladimir Ashkenazy. Great recording of the Chopin Ballades and Scherzi.

"I wish to lead a life free from care, and I see that I shall be unhappy if I cannot always work at my art." Clara Schumann, absolutely my hero, first pianist to play from memory.

Bye for now!






No comments: